18 December 2013

Bush Jr not using 'I'




While reading a book on grammar and stylistics, I unexpectedly came across a piece of information that helped me to look at people in a different light. Mr Bush Jr's speech writer faced with an unusual predicament while writing speeches both during his campaign and later when he became the president. Strangely, Mr Bush was not comfortable using 'I'. It may sound unusual at an age when people pounce on each other to make their 'I's heard. Nevertheless, Mr. Bush was visibly hesitant to use the first person singular pronoun.

The reason being, unlike many mothers today, Mrs Bush senior, trained her son not to project himself. She used to rap his knuckles when the little boy bragged. This unknown side of the man who is remembered more for other things, came as an inspiration to me and I recorded it as another 'to-dos' for moms. But before getting my son to learn not to showoff, I needed to learn that myself. Learn and then teach; practice and then preach; that is our thumb rule.

No comments: